Sunday, September 11, 2016

Mama's Dirty Rice

Y'all! I come to you today bearing food! Well, not food, but a really amazing, mouth watering recipe. Close enough, right?

My mama has made this dish for as long as I could remember. My more prevalent memories of this dish are of it being served as a side at Thanksgiving and Christmas but whenever mama had the excuse to make it, she made it.

If you don't know, dirty rice is a Cajun/Creole dish. The original recipe calls for chicken livers or giblets...but what mom is gonna expect her kids to eat that, right? I'm not sure if my mom tweaked the recipe after she got it from my MawMaw or if this is MawMaw's recipe...either way, they tweaked it and made it a family thing and now I'm feeling the need to pass it on...(I think I might be committing a Southern sin by doing that)...

Even though today was my first day making this by myself, I've watched mama make it thousands of times. Though, I did have to call her for the oven directions...hey, everybody forgets something every once in a while.

Prep: 25 minutes     Total Cook Time: 45 minutes     Yield: 10-12 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb. Jimmy Dean regular seasoned sausage, cooked
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can Campbell's French Onion Soup
1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1.5 cups white, long grain rice

Cooking Instructions:
To make it easier on yourself, make sure your sausage is thawed before you start to saute your vegetables, that way you can do it at the same time.

Get your sausage going in a cast iron skillet. I just love cooking with cast iron. My mama always told my daddy to NEVER ever buy her kitchen gadgets as gifts but I hope that my husband picks up on the fact that I love to cook...maybe he'll get me Ree Drummond's Timeless Cast Iron Skillet for Christmas...wink wink Taylor ;)

You can saute your vegetables at the same time you're cooking the sausage to eliminate cook time. You'll want to keep them going until they're soft and translucent. I've like my vegetable chopped smaller and add a dash of salt and pepper to the skillet. It's your choice to use butter or oil but I like using Canola oil.

You'll need to rinse your rice before adding it to the casserole dish. 

Put everything together in the casserole dish, this is an 8x8 but you can always adjust the recipe for a larger dish.

When everything is mixed together, cover it tightly with aluminum foil and put it a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. You'll want to stir it around after half the cooking time has elapsed to avoid getting crunchy rice on the top. Cover it back up and continue cooking until the rice is done. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the dish and the amount of rice you use.


Like I said, my mom always served this a side but I could eat it all by itself. I hope you enjoy!

Butter and Biscuits,
Mrs. B

No comments:

Post a Comment